Saturday, August 18, 2007

WEEKEND ONE

Hi people.

As I say in the ABOUT section over to the right, I'm posting new chapters every week-day only, which gives me the leeway to guarantee never falling behind. However, like every blogger since time began, I have become utterly obsessed with my site statistics. There have been 176 individual readers, 104 of whom have only visited once, three after looking up David Tennant on Google. Those three did not stay for longer than ten seconds. Like I care. Visitors who have arrived via blogger spend the most time on the site, on average. My friend Marie has been an excellent source of visitors, so big up Marie. You should read Marie's book - it's really good.

In international news, I am concerned that my Czech and Swiss readers both stopped after two visits. I am gaining in strength in America and Western Europe, but at such low levels that one reader abandoning me will create a statistical catastrophe. Also: some small antipodean interest; my friend Matt-from Japan is a keen reader; my friend Matt-from-Vietnam has only been once; Africa and South America are a dead loss so far, but I'm hopeful.

I am, predictably, also obsessed with the comments.

What I am saying, overall, is: I thought this would be an excellent project for my current busy time, because it takes so little time to write the new chapters and I can do it over my first cup of tea, before I officially start work. But the site analysis obsession is turning into a monster, which I have to get a grip on. I can do this. I totally can.

More on Monday. Ciao ciao.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh gawd. You can tell who we are, where we're from, and how long we spend on your blog? You'll scare me off from coming back! (And that would really be a pity, because I'm dying to know what happens next...)

Milly Chen said...

All I can tell is where people are from. I assume it's the Matts in Japan and Vietnam because I doubt I'm picking up random readers from those countries, and I sent them both the link. I get no more specific than, 'UK' for 90% of readers, and it's not like I can work out which person is on for how long - it's all just averages. Please, please don't be scared, I'm just getting started...

Jenny Davidson said...

Hi--got your comment just now, thought I would pop over to say hello. Sort of makes me crazy to read fiction in such small chunks, I might have to come back in a month and read a bunch at once! Good luck, though...

Anonymous said...

What sort of comments are you hoping for? The situation is a bit tricky, for I love what you are writing and how you are going about it. Only really feel qualified to make kind and motivating comments because I really want you to go on. Would be ridiculous to do anything else.

Maybe you can do an occasional post on the weekend about how the project is coming along as a writer's point of view.

Milly Chen said...

I'll keep posting whatever, don't worry, and I'll post a weekend digest of how things are going, if I'm anywhere near a computer.

As for reading it all in a chunk - I'm writing it to be read in discrete daily units (or I'm trying to, anyway). Obviously I won't always get it right, and some chapters will work better than others, but that's how I saw this particular story working. Basically, I don't know it works as a single long read (I'm not sure it doesn't, either, but...).

(Of course, the beauty of reading is that readers get to read things in ways that suit them. For me, 1000 words is as much as I want to read in a chunk off a screen. I'm trying to write something I'd like to read, basically. And obviously.)

Marie said...

Morning Milly! Good to see you last night. Will you be posting today, then? My guess is... not. Thanks for the big up for my book, and try a banana and a cup of peppermint tea, always works for me x

Milly Chen said...

I feel a-ok. Alcohol basically doesn't affect me. I don't get drunk, and I don't get hangovers, except I do get drunk.

Unknown said...

Hi Milly, actually you have got a random reader in Japan, although she's not at all Japanese. I got to you via Marie's blog. I don't know Marie either. And I've never met Matt. Either of them. But like I said, I'm really enjoying your story, and for me the daily chapters work brilliantly. Looking forward to more next week.

Milly Chen said...

That will teach me, on the assumptions front. Matt from Japan has read the blog, but maybe he is not in Japan at the moment. It's very possible: he is well jet-set.

Angie said...

Hello. Found your blog via Marie's and I'm enjoying your story. I always admire people who put their fiction out there for everyone to see because I'm shy in that way. Lots of props to you. :)
Site statistics are so addicting once you get started!