Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Chapter 57: 'Big Deep Breaths, Please, ...

… Johnny Depp. I’m not here to hurt anyone,’ said Rollo, lowering the point of his knife towards the floor, keeping his eyes fixed on Johnny’s. The music had stopped next door. ‘How could I do anything? Look around, there’s only one of me.’

‘Assassins don’t care what happens afterwards.’

‘If I wanted that, Johnny, then I’ve had plenty of chances.’

‘None of us knows anything about you, mate,’ said Johnny. ‘Pardon us for being careful. Pardon us for trying to protect her.’ I was pushing through the others towards them, and Johnny said, ‘Get back Mary Sue. No risks.’

‘I trust him,’ I said. You will think that some piece of me must surely have been thinking, ‘Please, oh please, let me be right about what I saw in Rollo’s eyes. Let me not have been bamboozled by them, because trustworthy eyes are hardly something I can take to the bank, so how can they possibly be something I will risk the world on?’ You will think that, but you will be wrong. I walked to Rollo, took his knife, then his hand, and then I pulled him over to a seat in the corner of the bar. Everyone was staring but I didn’t react to that. If Rollo was here, I reasoned, where he would know what kind of reaction he would get, it must be important. ‘What is it?’

He smiled, and squeezed my hand. His palms were dry, ever so slightly rough and completely comforting. Rollo looked like an ex-public school rugby player, with shiny brown shoes, neat jeans and crisp-collared short poking out from a blue and white round-neck sweater. This is not something I would usually find appealing, but it made Rollo look – it’s hard to put this in a way that doesn’t seem like faint praise, but you have to remember what a nightmare these two weeks had been in terms of trust and upheaval, and how this meant that certain things were unusually important to me – it made him look reliable. And then he said, ‘I’m here to say goodbye, Mary Sue.’

‘But…’

‘I’m sorry it has to be like this.’

‘But you said you were going to protect me.’

‘I will do everything I can, but we both know what’s happening tomorrow, and…’

‘How do you know? We only planned it today. Who are you?’

‘I’m someone you can trust,’ he said.

‘So,’ I said. ‘You think I won’t be coming back?’

‘I’m sure you will.’

‘But…’

‘We don’t have to go on about this conversation. I am not, well, I do not normally talk about these things, but I love you Mary Sue. I have to say it, in case I never get the chance again. I want you to remember that whatever happens, or however you come to think of me in the future, if, well. Just if. We will see each other again before the end, but the circumstances will be difficult, and when that happens, you have to know that I have always loved you as well as I could, after my fashion, and everything I have done in all this has been because you are incredibly important to me. Does that make sense to you?’

‘Not much.’

‘No, I suppose it wouldn’t.’ The music had started again, but there was still a critical mass of people watching us intently. The mood of the room was changed. ‘When that moment comes, very soon, when you see me, you may have some choices to make. At that point, you must remember that I love you, and would do anything for you, and if I tell you to do something, you have to do it, even if it seems, well, whatever it seems might be the result. Do you think you will be able to do that?’

‘Yes,’ I said, and I knew I would, and I didn’t know why. Again, I know, I know, if I were reading this, alarm bells would be going off in my head. Don’t think I don’t realise it now. Don’t think I didn’t realise it then, on some very deep level. Rollo smiled at me, stood up, kissed me gently on the cheek, said goodbye and walked away without looking back. Sir Conn hurried over to replace him, Johnny Depp and Freddie Flintoff at his shoulder, and asked if I was alright, and what Rollo had said, and whether anyone needed to go after and detain him. Sir Conn was holding a gin and tonic. I took it from him, drained it and said, ‘He was saying goodbye, Sir Conn. Let’s go home. Tomorrow’s going to be a big day.’
***

Johnny Depp muttered something in the taxi home that came back to me later with particular vividness. He said, intending me to hear, I’m sure, ‘When that bastard broke in, and pulled the knife, where was David Tennant then? If he’s supposed to care about you so much?’

7 comments:

Marie said...

Interesting. We appear to be in a Tennant is Master v Rollo is Master dichotomy.

I am still hoping that John Simm will be the Master.

Milly Chen said...

Just to prepare you: I now think that MSIL will take most of next week to resolve. I have pretty much worked out what is going to happen, you will be thrilled to learn. Pretty much.

James Casey said...

The Master could be someone the Angels (and we) have thought an Angel all along...

I.e. yes, I'm trying to work out who the Master is too. I suppose with David and Billie, John Simm ought to be the "Oh, I should have seen that one coming" option. Or Derek Jacobi, even.

James Casey said...

Just going crazy now, but:

Could Rollo be the Teacher and Miss Smallbone actually the Master? Or has something previous rendered that impossible?

Anonymous said...

I saw an article the other day about Vanessa Paradis playing a show in Paris and I thought, "But she can't be! She's dead!" You should take that as a compliment, Milly.

Milly Chen said...

I do, I do. I have started to feel genuinely proprietorial towards my celebrities. As I think of them, and as I can only imagine they think of themselves.

wlliams said...



My wife dumped me 9 months ago after we both quarrel of her seeing another man and fighting with her.I wanted her back in my life but she refused to have any thing to with me again. She changed all her phone and social contact,She blocked me from sending her email and also on facebook.I was so confuse on what step to take. So me and my friend searched the internet for help and saw a testimonies of how this powerful spell caster solved many people with similar problems to get their ex back. So I contacted the spell powerful Therapist whose name is Therapist Oniha in the winexbackspell@gmail.com and explain my problem to him and he cast a spell for me and assure me of 72 Hours Result that my wife will return to me, and to my surprise the Second day after 48 hours my wife came knocking at my door and ask me to forgive her.I was so happy that my love is back again after all i have done to make her unhappy. I AM SO HAPPY WITH THE HELP OF THERAPIST ONIHA,He is truly powerful and gifted. Therapist Oniha winexbackspell@gmail.com . He is the only person i see as the answer to your problems.He can be of great help to any problem and I will not stop publishing his name until am satisfy.